Monday, May 18, 2015

Travel Planning without internet?

It's unbelievable to think how I would have had to plan this trip without the internet.  In 1994, Betsy and I planned a western states backpacking trip which included 7 back packing trips with a few days driving in-between.  We had a book that gave us most of the 7 backpacking trips, but we had to organize the drive.  We went to AAA to get regional and local maps.  We counted miles along our route to get mileage and then guesstimated at travel times.  Now some locations had identified mileage like Portland to Seattle, but getting to remote camping spots?  Forget it.  Now you just type in the locations and boom...you've got mileage, time, and housing options.  Unbelievable.  I remember thinking my grandma had lived through everything (1898-1993): planes, ww1 & 2 etc. That said, I think the internet has opened more up than anything she experienced.  We are truly lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment