Thursday, July 2, 2015

Slice of Americana

I've always been a fan of camping- I like sleeping outdoors, bonding with my camp mates and even sharing a knowing glance with a stranger to indicate how awful the bathroom is.  Usually you have just a bit of space separating you from others...  Well this week at Morro Strands was a bit different.  It was a parking lot where you could sleep next to the parking lot basically in sand.  Our neighbors on the first night weren't great...in hindsight I wish they had stayed.  Attached is a picture of our neighbor who showed up with is Pa...Sadly this picture only starts to capture the image...moonshine, missing limbs, cuss word bananza, beer for breakfast and dinner from a can....then came the intimidation, threats etc.  But after a interesting two days, we ended up in a hotel...thankfully we had the money to do this.  I suspect everyone else simply left.  It does setup my observation about C
alifornia- the gap between the have's and the have not's is incredible.  There is the homeless and near homeless and then the vineyard folks.  It's an astoundingly visible gap.  I suspect that it is also a gap of education, access to jobs etc.  If California is the american dream, we need to get back to work on making that dream come true.

Be sure to zoom in and weigh in on if he's wearing shoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment